Search This Blog

Find your care here

12.03.2012

A funny thing happened . . .

"A funny thing happened . . ."  Isn't that how all of these parenting stories could start?

Nevertheless, two nights ago, a funny thing did happen.

 
In the last month or so, my husband and I have abandoned the battle to keep Bug in his own bed.  We now let him sleep wherever he will sleep.  Less stress, more sleep is our new motto.  Whatever gets us there is fine for now.


Two nights ago, at the end of the bedtime routine, ready to drop Bug into a bed for the night, I simply asked, "Are you going to sleep in your big boy bed or in my bed?"

Perhaps shocked at how complete his victory has become, he paused.  Then he said, "Momma's bed."

Done.

I kissed Bug goodnight and said, "I'll see you later, [Bug].  I love you.  And don't forget -- if you call out from Momma's bed,  I won't come in to get you.  You have to sleep.  Okay, little lovie.  Sweet dreams."

He seemed to accept my terms and got snuggled under the covers with his various talismans.

A few minutes later, he called out.  I did not answer.

He got out of bed and came out to the living room.

I picked up Bug and carried him back to my bed saying, "It's time for bed.  I love you.  Sweet dreams."

I left the room.

A few minutes later, he called out.  I did not answer.

He got out of bed and came out to the living room again.

I picked him up and said, "I love you - time for bed."

I put him down in my bed and left the room.

Within two minutes, Bug was crying out.  This time, when he came into the living room, he was crying and saying, "I want to sleep in my big boy bed."

"What?" I asked (incredulously - at the risk of stating the obvious).

"I want to sleep in my big boy bed."

"Oh!  Okay!"

I walked Bug to his big boy bed, tucked him in, and gave him a big hug and kiss.  And, Bug went to sleep in his big boy bed.


To this day, I remain bewildered by the entire experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment