Search This Blog

Find your care here

3.28.2013

Expectations

I have decided to revise my morning routine expectations.  I will no longer try to feed my children between 6:30 am and 7 am.  I will no longer try to get the three of us dressed and out the door by 7:30 am.

I rarely succeeded on that schedule.  We were rarely out the door by 7:30, and I was rarely succeeding as my best self.

From now on, I have decided to try to leave the apartment by 8:15.

So, this morning the boys and I read books until 7, when they started their breakfasts, and I was feeling pretty proud of myself.

"Ahhhhh, so this is all it took?  A shift in perspective?  Less pressure to meet an unattainable goal?  Done and done.  We are all so much happier right now.  No one is yelling or throwing a fit.  This is awesome!"


Perhaps as a result of prolonged periods of sleep deprivation at various points in the last three and a half years (yes, today is Bug's half-birthday!), I did not stop myself when I was having such glorious, self-congratulatory thoughts.

I did not think, "Hmmmm . . . this elated feeling that I have solved the mysteries of motherhood tends to precede a not-so-gentle reminder that this game is always changing."

No, I did not think that.

Instead, I continued with the morning sure that the days of morning-meltdowns (Bug's, Squish's, mine) were over.  (See e.g., Yesterday morning when I broke down and started to cry while I was trying to cram Squish into his rear-facing car seat and he was screaming loud protest screams at me and Bug was refusing to get into his car seat and whining loud protest whines at me.)

After I dressed Squish for the day, I went into the living room to get Bug into his "daytime clothes."  I turned off the television because his favorite dinosaur show had ended.

He yelled at me something about a Martha who speaks.

I said it was time to get dressed.

He got up and turned the television back on.

I turned it back off and started to count to three (some magic spell I read about in a book somewhere along the way).

"That's one."

Bug spit at me.

"That's two."

He called me a Stinky Butt.

"That's three - time out."

I told him to go to his room.

He hit me.  He started to push me and said, "I am pushing you!"

I tried not to laugh as he narrated his battle.

I picked him up and carried him to his room for a three-minute break.  He kicked me en route.  He hit me again when I put him down in his room.

Squish started to laugh at just about every part of the excitement.

I said, "[Squish], please don't encourage him.  It's not actually funny."

Then Squish said, "Nooo!  [hahahahaha]  No! [hahahaha]  No!  No!  No!"

This was not exactly fitting into my A New Day Has Dawned Because I Have Solved The Mystery Of Getting Out Of The Apartment Every Morning With Happiness And Light Shining On The Three Of Us By Deciding To Leave At 8:15 Instead Of 7:30.

Many door slams and Stinky Butts later, the time out ended, and Bug seemed a bit calmer.  In fact, we all did.  And we made it out of the apartment by 8:23.


I am going to stick with the 8:15 goal.  It may not prevent Bug or Squish meltdowns, but at least I wasn't in tears today.  I didn't feel the usual dread that we were going to be Late As Usual!  Instead, as I set the oven timer for Bug's time out, I actually thought to myself, "Well, at least we have fifteen more minutes until we are supposed to be leaving.  Surely we can put the pieces back together within fifteen minutes." 

No comments:

Post a Comment