Search This Blog

Find your care here

11.06.2012

GOAFVA

For the past couple of weeks, I have seen various status updates on Facebook letting me know about "GOTV."  It was not until maybe a day or two ago that I realized "GOTV" stands for Get Out The Vote - and not GO Television, an internet television station where people publicly support their candidates (something I clearly made up in my head but believed wholeheartedly). 

With that misunderstanding out of the way, please allow me to persuade you to Get Out And Freaking Vote Already (GOAFVA!), if you haven't already.

I want anyone reading this to GOAFVA today, but I'd like to focus on women for just a moment.

We have been guaranteed the right to vote for less than a century in this country.

Is that right? 
Does that seem right to you? 
Less than a century? 

It was in the 1900s when the 19th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution was ratified.

My grandmother was born less than a decade after its ratification.
 
My mother attended a college that excluded women (for being women) until the year she enrolled.

I was born only a year after the Pregnancy Discrimination Act was added to Title VII.

I had my first child the same year that the president signed the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act.

GOAFVA.

Do it as a thank you to the women who made it possible. 

GOAFVA.

Model the behavior you want to see in your granddaughters, daughters, sisters, nieces, God-daughters, and students.

GOAFVA.
GOAFVA.
GOAFVA.

Just vote already!

No comments:

Post a Comment